The chance of side effects depends on the dose, type of steroid and length of treatment. Some side effects are more serious than others. Common side effects of systemic steroids include:
- Increased appetite.
- Weight gain.
- Changes in mood.
- Muscle weakness.
- Blurred vision.
- Increased growth of body hair.
- Easy bruising.
- Lower resistance to infection.
- Swollen, “puffy” face.
- Osteoporosis (bone weakening disease).
- Onset of, or worsening of, diabetes.
- Onset of, or worsening of, high blood pressure.
- Stomach irritation.
- Nervousness, restlessness.
- Difficulty sleeping.
- Cataracts or glaucoma.
- Water retention, swelling.
These side effects are the most common side effects. All possible side effects are not included. Always contact your doctor if you have questions about your personal situation.